Friday, November 23, 2007

ROVE ALSO LIES ABOUT POLICY MAKING

In the same interview mentiobed below, Rove said this:


CHARLIE ROSE: Some have said to me Karl Rove was a brilliant political strategist. Now, they believe that in the end, 2006 was more about the war and they think that you lost some of your magic, that the mojo stopped working for you. They also believe that you as a political strategist played a policy role in the White House, and that`s not the role of a political strategist.

KARL ROVE: Charlie, I played a policy role in the White House because I`m a policy nerd. I mean, I played a role on policy in the White House because the president had confidence in my policy instincts, as well as my political instincts.

And I took it very seriously, and I worked hard at it. And I think you would hear from my colleagues that I was a good colleague on the -- on these issues, and I paid a lot of attention to the intricacies of the issues.


John Dilulio was the head of the Office of Faith-Based Initiatives, a supposedly important part of Fredo's "compassionate conservatism" and he says Karl is full of it:

In eight months, I heard many, many staff discussions, but not three meaningful, substantive policy discussions. There were no actual policy white papers on domestic issues. ... on social policy and related issues, the lack of even basic policy knowledge, and the only casual interest in knowing more, was somewhat breathtaking — discussions by fairly senior people who meant Medicaid but were talking Medicare; near-instant shifts from discussing any actual policy pros and cons to discussing political communications, media strategy, et cetera. Even quite junior staff would sometimes hear quite senior staff pooh-pooh any need to dig deeper for pertinent information on a given issue.

No comments: