Saturday, May 31, 2008

I GUESS THE WINGNUTS IN THE MILITARY ARE UNEASY

Perhaps that accounts for this letter by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mullen. Fats Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are carried by the Armed Forces Radio Network. To my surprise, liberals are also carried.

Joint Force Quarterly
July 2008

From the Chairman: Military Must Stay Apolitical

By Adm. Mike Mullen

During just about every trip I make to the field and to the fleet, I get asked about the challenges I will face leading the military through this upcoming Presidential transition:

“Aren’t you worried about having to work for a new President?”

“What if a Democrat wins? What will that do to the mission in Iraq?”

“Do you think it’s better for one party or another to have the White House?”

And this one, asked of me by a young Marine at Camp Lejeune a few weeks ago:
“Are you endorsing any of the candidates? And if so, which one and why?”

My answer is simple and always the same: the U.S. military must remain apolitical at all times and in all ways. It is and must always be a neutral instrument of the state, no matter which party holds sway. A professional armed force that stays out of the politics that drive the policies it is sworn to enforce is vital to the preservation of the union and to our way of life.

No comments: