Tuesday, June 10, 2008

WE GAVE THE WEAPONS INSPECTORS LEADS

I noted before that Hans Blix said the U.S. gave the U.N. inspectors leads to WMD and the inspectors followed the leads and FOUND NOTHING! I post this now because Matt Yglesias wrote that we didn't give the inspectors leads because we didn't have any leads.

Here's the NY Times article I clipped but never posted:

THE WAY WE LIVE NOW: 3-28-04: QUESTIONS FOR HANS BLIX; What Weapons?
By DEBORAH SOLOMON
Published: March 28, 2004
NY Times Magazine

Q: Your new book, ''Disarming Iraq,'' recounts your futile search for weapons as the former chief United Nations weapons inspector.

BLIX: Yes, President Bush and Tony Blair were convinced there was something there. They were convinced there were witches.

Q:You yourself initially believed there were weapons! Only later did you change your mind.

BLIX: Yes, I, too, believed there were weapons. I began to be skeptical when we went to sites that were given to us by U.S. intelligence and we found nothing. They said this is the best intelligence we have, and I said, if this is the best, what is the rest?

No comments: