Wednesday, May 11, 2005

SOME GOOD NEWS

Pastor accused of running out Dems quits
By TIM WHITMIRE
Associated Press Writer
May 10, 10:50 PM EDT

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHURCH_POLITICS?SITE=AZTUS&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

WAYNESVILLE, N.C. (AP) -- A Baptist preacher accused of running out nine congregants who disagreed with his Republican politics resigned Tuesday, two days after calling the issue "a great misunderstanding."
Speaking from the pulpit during a meeting at East Waynesville Baptist Church, the Rev. Chan Chandler told church members that it would "cause more hurt for me and my family" if he stayed.
"I am resigning with gratitude in my heart for all of you, particularly those of you who love me and my family," Chandler said, adding that the dispute was rooted in his strong feelings about abortion.
Chandler's attorney, John Pavey Jr., said the pastor has not apologized for anything he said and would continue to speak out against abortion. He said the dispute inside the church had nothing to do with politics, a contention echoed Tuesday by Chandler's supporters.
Several church members said they agreed with Chandler on issues like abortion, but objected to him making those issues explicitly political in the church.
"I think everyone in there agrees with him on the issues. Politics was the problem," Carolyn Gaddy said.

No comments: