Saturday, July 16, 2005

CHRISTIAN "TOLERANCE"

Atrios has already covered this but since it made my local paper, I thought I'd add it here.

Christian adoption group shuns Catholics
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
7/16/05
http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/news/84413.php


JACKSON, Miss. - A Christian adoption agency that receives money from Choose Life license plate fees said it does not place children with Roman Catholic couples because their religion conflicts with the agency's "Statement of Faith."

Bethany Christian Services stated the policy in a letter to a Jackson couple this month, and another Mississippi couple said they were rejected for the same reason last year.

"It has been our understanding that Catholicism does not agree with our Statement of Faith," Bethany's state director Karen Stewart wrote. "Our practice to not accept applications from Catholics was an effort to be good stewards of an adoptive applicant's time, money and emotional energy."

Bethany, based in Grand Rapids, Mich., has 75 offices in 30 states, including three in Mississippi. No offices are listed in Arizona. The offices are independently incorporated and are affiliated with various religions, spokesman John Van Valkenburg said from the agency headquarters. He couldn't say whether any were Catholic-affiliated. He said the Jackson office is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church of America. "They included this practice of not including Catholics," Van Valkenburg said Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger I’ve been looking for Up to date related blogs and I came across yours on CHRISTIAN during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Up to date. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger I’ve been looking for Content related blogs and I came across yours on CHRISTIAN during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Content. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger I’ve been looking for Up to date related blogs and I came across yours on CHRISTIAN during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Up to date. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy