Wednesday, September 26, 2007

FEBRUARY 22, 2003

The Spanish newspaper El Pais has published a transcript of a conversation Pres. Fredo had with Pres. Aznar of Spain on that date. It's in Spanish but both Booman Tribune(BT) and European Tribune(ET)have published translations into English.

Both have Fredo saying he doesn't want war:

BT:

PA. In fact the greater success would be to gain the game without shooting a single shot and entering Bagdad.
PB. For me it would be the perfect solution. I do not want war.
I know what happens in war. I know the destruction and the death that they bring. I am the one that has to console the mothers and the widows of dead. Of course, for us that would be the best solution. In addition, it would save 50,000 million U.S. dollars.


ET:

PA. In fact the greatest success would be to win the game without firing a single shot, and going into Bagdad.
PB. For me it would be the perfect solution. I do not want the war.
I know what wars are. I know the destruction and the death that bring with them. I am the one that has to comfort the mothers and widows of the dead. By all means, for us that would be the best solution. In addition, it would save us 50 [US] billion dollars.


That seems nice but we also have remarks that seem to indicate that Fredo has made up his mind.

BT:
PB. Saddam Husein will not change and will continue playing. The moment to get rid of him has arrived. That's the way it is. ... Saddam Hussein is not being disarmed. We must take him out right now. We have shown an incredible degree of patience until now. They are left two weeks. In two weeks we will be militarily ready.

PB. My patience is exhausted. I do not think to go beyond half of March.

ET:
PB. Saddam Husein will not change and will keep on playing games. The time has come to get rid of him. That's the way it is. ... Saddam Hussein is not disarming. We must get him right now. We have shown an incredible degree of patience until now. There are two weeks left. In two weeks' time we will be militarily ready.

PB. My patience is exhausted. I don't intend to go beyond mid-March.

No comments: