Saturday, March 15, 2008

OBAMA IS ON TOP OF THE ISSUE WITH WRIGHT

Unlike Sen. Kerry, Obama is wasting no time in pushing back against the GOP Noise Machine. He has published a reply in the Huffington Post:
Let me say at the outset that I vehemently disagree and strongly condemn the statements that have been the subject of this controversy. I categorically denounce any statement that disparages our great country or serves to divide us from our allies. I also believe that words that degrade individuals have no place in our public dialogue, whether it's on the campaign stump or in the pulpit. In sum, I reject outright the statements by Rev. Wright that are at issue.

And then went on FAUX1 to make his position clear:
OBAMA: Well, Major, I got to confess that, you know, as you know, I was voting in the Senate all day yesterday, so I wasn't following this story as carefully as I could have been. And then I flew back to Chicago. When I saw these statements, many of which I had heard for the first time, then I thought it was important to make a very clear and unequivocal statement.

None of these statements were ones that I had heard myself personally in the pews. One of them I had heard about after I had started running for president, and I put out a statement at that time condemning them. The other statements were ones that I just heard about while we were -- when they started being run on FOX and some of the other stations. And so they weren't things that I was familiar with.

Once I saw them, I had to be very clear about the fact that these are not statements that I am comfortable with. I reject them completely. They are not ones that reflect my values or my ideals or my Michelle's and that had I heard them, had I been sitting in the church at the time that they were spoken, I would have been absolutely clear to Reverend Wright that I didn't find those acceptable. And obviously...

GARRETT: Sir, would you have quit the church, had you heard them personally?

OBAMA: You know, I guess -- keep in mind that -- just to provide more context, this is somebody who I've known for 20 years. Pastor Wright has been a pastor for 30 years. He's an ex-Marine. He is somebody who is a biblical scholar, has spoken at theological seminaries all across the country, from the University of Chicago to Hampton. And so he is a well- regarded preacher and somebody who is known for talking about the social gospel. But most of the time, when I'm in church, he's talking about Jesus, God, faith, values, caring for the poor. Those -- family. Those were the messages that I was hearing.

And so, you know, I think that the statements that have been strung together are compiled out of, you know, hundreds of sermons that he delivered over the course of his lifetime. But obviously, they are ones that are, from my perspective, completely unacceptable and inexcusable. And if I had thought that that was the tenor or tone on an ongoing basis of his sermons, then, yes, I don't think that it would have been reflective of my values or of my faith experience.

GARRETT: So quick yes or no. If you'd them in person, you would have quit.

OBAMA: If I had heard them repeated, I would have quit.

1Fox News Network
March 14, 2008 Friday
SHOW: FOX ON THE RECORD WITH GRETA VAN SUSTEREN 10:00 PM EST
Barack Obama Enhanced Coverage LinkingBarack Obama -Search using:
Biographies Plus News
News, Most Recent 60 Days
Responds to Pastor's Controversial Remarks
BYLINE: Greta Van Susteren, Major Garrett
GUESTS: Newt Gingrich
SECTION: NEWS; Domestic

LENGTH: 2034 words

No comments: