Friday, March 14, 2008

OBAMA RESPONDS TO HANNITY (AND ABC)

This seems reasonable and in a world without the GOP Noise Machine, it would put the issue to rest.

Obama addresses Pa.'s importance, pastor's remarks
By David Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, March 14, 2008

Q: I don't know if you've seen it, but it's all over the wire today (from an ABC News story), a statement that your pastor (the Rev. Jeremiah Wright of Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's South Side) made in a sermon in 2003 that instead of singing "God Bless America," black people should sing a song essentially saying "God Damn America."

A: I haven't seen the line. This is a pastor who is on the brink of retirement who in the past has made some controversial statements. I profoundly disagree with some of these statements.

Q: What about this particular statement?

A: Obviously, I disagree with that. Here is what happens when you just cherry-pick statements from a guy who had a 40-year career as a pastor. There are times when people say things that are just wrong. But I think it's important to judge me on what I've said in the past and what I believe.

No comments: