Monday, April 07, 2008

GREENSPAN: "IT WASN'T ME"

The responses Alan Greenspan got from his previous op-ed in the Financial Times about the credit crunch led him to defend himself in this new piece. He apparently feels that criticisms of him are in fact criticisms of the free market itself:
I do have an ideology. So does each member of the forum. I trust our views are subject to the same standards of evidence that apply to all rational discourse. My view of how the efficiency of global capitalism has evolved over the decades as new evidence has appeared contradicts some earlier judgments and confirms others. I have been surprised by the fierceness of investors in retrenching from risk since August. My view of the range of dispersion of outcomes has been shaken but not my judgment that free competitive markets are the unrivalled way to organise economies. We have tried regulation ranging from heavy to central planning. None meaningfully worked. Do we wish to retest the evidence?

No comments: