Wednesday, April 02, 2008

HANNITY IS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

Over 20 years ago, I recall listening to a bit of Bob Grant's radio show and I was amazed at how much hatred he spewed. I haven't thought much about him until I came across this BuzzFlash interview with Max Blumenthal. Blumenthal claims that Hannity was a big fan of Bob Grant:
Hannity also credited Bob Grant as his mentor. Hannity says in his book, Let Freedom Ring, "I'd grown up listening to Bob Grant, one of the most entertaining hosts I'd ever heard."

I got Hannity's book and found these comments about Grant:
Sure, there were a scattering of great stations and great personalities out there - among them people like Barry Farber and Bob Grant in New York, whom I listened to avidly. (p. 259)

I'd grown up listening to Bob Grant, Barry Gray, John Gambling, and Barry Farber. (p. 264)

On the same visit I also met Bob Grant, the King of Afternoon Drive in New York and one of the great pioneers of talk radio in America. Bob was a hard-hitting interviewer with in-your-face opinions, and one of the most entertaining hosts I'd ever heard. (p. 266)

So, Blumenthal was essentially correct although his quote combines 2 sentences from Hannity's book. You can find out more about Grant here and here's a snippet:
Grant's firing from WABC ten years ago stemmed from intemperate comments he made about the late Secretary of Commerce and former Democratic Party Chair Ron Brown. The latter was in a plane crash on a trip to Bosnia. When reports surfaced their might be survivors Grant commented to the effect he hoped Ron Brown was not among them.

No comments: