Friday, June 06, 2008

MORE ON MR. HIRSH

I noted some of this below but now that I've read the transcript of Hirsh's interview by Cenk Ungyar of The Young Turks, I think we need to read this part:
Michael Hirsh: Well, I'm not sure how. I mean, one of the problems is that the majority of them, the truly prominent members of the punditocrisy if you will, and the top editors were for the war. I mean, the editor of the New York Times, Bill Keller, just before he became editor, wrote an article in Times Magazine called the, you know, the "I Can't Believe I'm a Hawk Club," where he grouped himself with other so-called liberal interventionists who were trying to fit in their support for the Iraq War with their support for the, you know, actions against the Bosnia Slobodan Milosevic in the 90s. And, you know, they went about this as an intellectual exercise all without realizing that the Iraq War, essentially had absolutely nothing to do with the challenge of 9/11, which was the preeminent challenge before us...which has always what's gotten me upset, cause you know, whenever I have taken this position, I've often been accused of being a liberal, a weenie, whatever, when actually I'm a hawk. I've always been a hawk, and as a hawk I wanted vengeance for 9/11 and I wanted justice, which meant getting Bin Laden and Zawahiri getting and making sure they were all very dead. That was the objective. That was the only objective we could have after 9/11. And somehow, all of these reporters of the Iraq War have deafly avoided the fact that Bin Laden and Zawahiri and too many of the Lieutenants are still out there thriving. So that's the argument that I make, and I don't know. I think that the problem is, again, you know, you got Keller, you got the leading editors of the Washington Post, Jim Hoagland, who's a columnist there, Fred Hiatt the editorial page editor, David Remnick of the New Yorker. A lot of the truly preeminent editors of our time were among those who supported the war. So it stands to reason that you're not going to be hearing cries from them for each other to step forward.

No comments: