Friday, November 14, 2008

I WAS WORRIED THAT THE FUNDIES STAYED HOME ...

instead of voting for McCain or against Obama and I am very glad to be wrong. In 2004, about 23% of the voters were white evangelicals and in 2008, that percentage rose to 26%. They preferred Bush over Kerry by a huge margin, 78% to 21% and gave McCain a similar margin over Obama, 74% to 24%.

I was worried that Obama's victory was due primarily to a shortage of Fundies and that would mean that we will face tougher elections in the future.

Christine Whitman, former head the the EPA under Pres. Fredo, brought this fact to my attention in an op-ed in the WaPo. She and her co-author argue that the GOP must free itself of Fundie control but doesn't seem to get that that would result in the GOP being a virtually permanent minority party (and that would be a GOOD thing as far as I'm concerned.)

No comments: