Thursday, August 06, 2009

INVINCIBLE IGNORANCE

A friend of mine lives in an apartment building for retired persons that was built mostly with Federal money and related something to me that I've heard before: some people want to bite the hand that feeds them. Some of my friend's neighbors routinely whine about the size of the Federal government and excessive taxes without seeming to realize that the very building they live in is due to the Feds and those taxes.

Similarly, Zaid Jilani at Think Progress found this nugget in a WaPo article:
In other pockets of the state, the reaction to Democratic proposals has been strong, too. At a recent town-hall meeting in suburban Simpsonville, a man stood up and told Rep. Robert Inglis (R-S.C.) to "keep your government hands off my Medicare."

"I had to politely explain that, 'Actually, sir, your health care is being provided by the government,' " Inglis recalled. "But he wasn't having any of it."

No comments: