Wednesday, March 10, 2010

THE FIRST THING WE DO...

The Clinton-era Filegate "scandal" is finally over and as I read the transcript of a deposition of George Stephanopoulus done by Larry Klayman, a lawyer for Judicial Watch, I remembered again why some lawyers are just miserable people. Here's two snippets that I found especially irritating. Klayman is the questioner (Q) in these excerpts.

1) DRESS

Q Is it your practice to appear

18 before the court without a coat and tie?


19 MR. BRAND: Objection.

20 BY MR. KLAYMAN:

21 Q Yes or no?

22 MR. BRAND: Larry, we're here



468


1 because the judge has ordered us to answer

2 questions regarding the adequacy of the

3 search for documents. If you want to waste

4 everyone's time asking questions about why

5 George does or doesn't wear a tie, we're not

6 going to continue with this.

7 MR. KLAYMAN: Well, let me give you

8 a proffer here. He says that he respects

9 Judge Lamberth but won't answer questions to

10 get to the truth.

2) DRAWING
Q I'm not asking you to draw anything




526


1 to scale but draw a configuration of your

2 office.


3 MR. BRAND: Objection. We're not

4 going to go through that, Larry.

5 MR. KLAYMAN: You're not going to

6 let him do this?

7 MR. BRAND: No. I'm not going to

8 have you order him to make drawings of his

9 office.

10 MR. KLAYMAN: I won't hold him to

11 scale.

No comments: