Wednesday, April 14, 2010

IT'S HARD TO EXPLAIN THIS RESULT

A CBS/NY Times poll found that a slim majority of people who identified themselves as Baggers think the taxes they paid this year were fair.



The poll's margin of error for the Bagger portion is +/- 3 points, so at worst 49% of the Baggers are OK with their own taxes but then why are they so upset with them?

UPDATE
: The NYT reported on another Bagger inconsistency:
And nearly three-quarters of those who favor smaller government said they would prefer it even if it meant spending on domestic programs would be cut.

But in follow-up interviews, Tea Party supporters said they did not want to cut Medicare or Social Security — the biggest domestic programs, suggesting instead a focus on “waste.”

Some defended being on Social Security while fighting big government by saying that since they had paid into the system, they deserved the benefits.

Others could not explain the contradiction.

“That’s a conundrum, isn’t it?” asked Jodine White, 62, of Rocklin, Calif. “I don’t know what to say. Maybe I don’t want smaller government. I guess I want smaller government and my Social Security.” She added, “I didn’t look at it from the perspective of losing things I need. I think I’ve changed my mind.”

No comments: