Monday, October 10, 2011

I'M NOT SURE BUT...

I think the movement conservatives are afraid of the Occupy Wall Street movement. Today I had the first real hint when Hannity I(radio show) said something like "Wall Street isn't ALL of Capitalism," a remark that I interpreted as his unwillingness to come to a full-fledged defense of the banksters. The second hint was from a Think Progress post that caught Santorum doing a reversal on the OWS movement:
In an interview this morning on CNBC, Santorum seemed to join his fellow Republicans, calling the protesters “a fringe group” of the “radical left” that has been protesting since Vietnam:

SANTORUM: Well, you’re talking about a rather fringe group of people out here sitting outside your building. I mean, these are the same old folks that have been protesting since the Vietnam War. … They don’t curry too much favor in my book and I don’t think they do with the American people. This is the radical left.

But at the Values Voters Summit today, Santorum seemed to change his tune. After first dismissing the protests by saying, “This is what the left does,” Santorum told ThinkProgress that while he may disagree with what the protesters wanted to accomplish, there is “legitimate concern about corruption on Wall Street” and that “I understand the motivation behind the protests”:

SANTORUM: I understand the motivation behind the protests. I don’t think what they’re trying to accomplish is what I’d like to see. But clearly, Wall Street should have paid, and in my opinion, still should pay for the consequences of what they’ve done.
My hunch is that a lot of the Baggers are also pissed off at the banksters, so Hannity and Santorum are trying not to alienate them.

No comments: