Friday, October 26, 2012

THE THEOLOGY OF RICHARD MOURDOCK

I intended to post about Mourdock's theology in relation to several strands of Christian theology but in the meantime, James Wood of The New Yorker has done part of the job by finding this terrific quote from the Book of Isaiah, Chapter 45, verse 7, that demonstrates that the the Old Testament God was the source of Evil:
New International Version (©1984)
I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.
New Living Translation (©2007)
I create the light and make the darkness. I send good times and bad times. I, the LORD, am the one who does these things.
English Standard Version (©2001)
I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the LORD, who does all these things.
New American Standard Bible (©1995)
The One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the LORD who does all these.
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
I make light and create darkness. I make blessings and create disasters. I, the LORD, do all these things.
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create calamity: I the LORD do all these things.
American King James Version
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
American Standard Version
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil. I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.
Douay-Rheims Bible
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.
Darby Bible Translation
forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.
English Revised Version
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am the LORD, that doeth all these things.
Webster's Bible Translation
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
World English Bible
I form the light, and create darkness. I make peace, and create calamity. I am Yahweh, who does all these things.
Young's Literal Translation
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I am Jehovah, doing all these things.'
Joseph de Maistre (1753-1821) also faced up to this theology in what is his most famous statement:
The whole earth, perpetually steeped in blood, is nothing but a vast altar upon which all that is living must be sacrificed without end, without measure, without pause, until the consummation of things, until evil is extinct, until the death of death.

1 comment:

Ken Hoop said...

You should study Marcion, who rejected the entire OT as inherently in conflict with the NT, particularly as it relates to this theme.