Sunday, April 13, 2014

I THOUGHT I COVERED THIS BEFORE

I just came across a Bagger comment that claimed Pres. Obama said that America wasn't exceptional, something gasbags like Hannity have been pounding into the Bagger listeners.  He can only get away with that because he truncates the President's remarks.  Here's the relevant full passage from 2009:
I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism. I am enormously proud of my country and its role and history in the world. If you think about the site of this summit and what it means, I don't think America should be embarrassed to see evidence of the sacrifices of our troops, the enormous amount of resources that were put into Europe postwar, and our leadership in crafting an alliance that ultimately led to the unification of Europe. We should take great pride in that.

And if you think of our current situation, the United States remains the largest economy in the world. We have unmatched military capability. And I think that we have a core set of values that are enshrined in our Constitution, in our body of law, in our democratic practices, in our belief in free speech and equality that, though imperfect, are exceptional.
Hannity only uses the text marked with a yellow background.

2 comments:

Ken Hoop said...

I wish Obama had said America wasn't exceptional anymore, if it ever was.
Maybe pointed out how, after the Iraq and Afghan debacles, now was not the right time to crow about
arguable exceptionalism.
Also the unregulated banksters bringing down the world economy.
Then Putin couldn't have embarrassed us throughout the world by his editorial retort.

Steve J. said...

Maybe pointed out how, after the Iraq and Afghan debacles, now was not the right time to crow about
arguable exceptionalism.


That would've been great!