Saturday, May 30, 2015

IT WOULD BE GREAT IF KANSAS WAS A REAL LESSON

But I fear trickle-down economics will always live in the hearts of most conservatives:
To Fill Budget Hole, Kansas G.O.P. Considers the Unthinkable: Raising Taxes

By JOHN ELIGONMAY 29, 2015
NY Times

TOPEKA, Kan. — With the state facing a $400 million budget hole for the coming fiscal year, the conservatives who dominate the Legislature here say they are agonizing over the likelihood of doing something that did not seem to be in their DNA: raising taxes.

“I have to talk to myself about it before I reach that step,” said Senator Les Donovan, a Republican who is chairman of the Senate’s tax committee. “I’m not in favor of raising taxes. I’d much rather be able to see growth take care of what we do.”

Mr. Donovan said the results of the tax law were “never as good as we hoped.”

“We hoped they would just be a magic lantern and everybody would react to it,” he said. “But, eh, it’s hard to get a company to uproot their business when they’re established and move to another place just because of this difference in tax policy.”

No comments: