Monday, November 14, 2005

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF UNCONCERN

The link to this story was sent to me from a member of a liberal online group I belong to. The group began after we realized in AOL Chat Rooms that we shared interests and outlooks.

LOCAL HERO SAYS GOVERNMENT LET HIM DOWN
AFTER RETURN FROM IRAQ
By Frank Thomas Croisdale

Most Americans would like to believe that a soldier injured in combat has the strong arms of one of the benevolent branches of the United States Armed Forces to fall into.
Chris Kreiger banked his whole life on that assumption, only to find an Uncle Sam full of hot air and empty promises.
Now, only the kindness of a local cop and one of our area's best-known businesses is keeping the Kreiger family from sinking into an abyss of debt and despair.


When terrorists struck on Sept. 11, 2001, Kreiger and the 105th were among the first wave of troops dispatched to New York City. Chris and his unit would stay for six weeks.
On Valentine's Day, 2003, the 105th touched down in Iraq, remaining there for 15 months. Those 15 months would impact Kreiger's life in ways that continue to define who he is and where he is headed.


While deployed, Kreiger was wounded on four occasions, the most serious being an ankle injury. Kreiger wanted surgery done on the ankle immediately. Because of the shortage of soldiers in the field, he says, the surgery request was denied and he was issued a set of crutches. He stayed in the field and on the job. The ankle injury worsened.

In May of this year, he finally had ankle surgery. The military promised he would receive 100 percent compensation. After the surgery, they reneged on the promise.
"The surgery that was performed was done on my foot," Kreiger explained. "They said that wasn't the same injury -- it wasn't the ankle. I gave them statements from two surgeons saying that the surgery was proper. They both said the best way to heal the ankle was by operating on the foot."
The couple saw no other option but to sell their home.


That's when an angel by the name of Mark Lemke stepped into their lives.
Lemke, a longtime North Tonawanda policeman, is also a real estate agent for Hunt Real Estate. Lemke said that he and his colleagues at the Hunt office in Wheatfield had decided not to help the Kreigers sell their home.
They were going to help the Kreigers keep it.


One thing that will probably never be repaired is Kreiger's allegiance to the federal government.
"I love my country, but I don't trust my government anymore. I'll always be a 100 percent full-blooded soldier, but the government has left a bad taste in my mouth," Kreiger said. "When they wanted to ship me out, I was there, no questions asked. Now when I need them, it's like, go to hell."

"Here's a company who doesn't know me from Adam and they're trying to give me the world, while my own government doesn't want to give me a damn thing," he said.

No comments: