Friday, May 02, 2008

YOU KNOW, MAYBE THEY'RE ALL CRAZY

By "they" I mean pastors, reverends, priests and ministers or whatever else our spiritual leaders are called. Katha Pollit of The Nation provides a nice comparison of two clowns currently on our political radar:

As Sarah Posner lays out in an excellent post for TAPPED, Wright and Hagee have a lot in common. Both believe that chickens come home to roost--in New Orleans, on 9/11--and that God sends them. Both think America is sinful. Both have bizarre ideas with terrible, real-world implications: Hagee wants the US and israel to attack Iran to bring on the end times; Rev. Wright claims the United States government invented the HIV virus "as a means of genocide against people of color."

Now I've met some clerics who I had great respect for although even then I may have been mistaken because I didn't know them well enough. I used to think that Billy Graham would be a good example of a preacher who wasn't an extremist but SilentPatriot at Crooks & Liars discovers that he was, like Nixon, an anti-Semite.

No comments: