Monday, June 02, 2008

THEY SURE DON'T KNOW WHAT "KNOW" MEANS

(h/t Atrios)

I suppose I've read or heard 100s of false statements made by wingnuts over the last 5 years and I'm amazed how often they use the word "know" to preface their claims. Just to be pedantic, here's the Merriam-Webster definition:

Main Entry: know
Pronunciation: 'nO
Function: verb Inflected
Form(s): knew /'nü also 'nyü/; known /'nOn/; know·ing
tymology: Middle English, from Old English cnAwan; akin to Old High German bichnAan to recognize, Latin gnoscere, noscere to come to know, Greek gignOskein

transitive senses

1 a (1) : to perceive directly : have direct cognition of
(2) : to have understanding of
(3) : to recognize the nature of : DISCERN b (1) : to recognize as being the same as something previously known
(2) : to be acquainted or familiar with
(3) : to have experience of2 a : to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of b : to have a practical understanding of
archaic : to have sexual intercourse with

intransitive senses

1 : to have knowledge
2 : to be or become cognizant -- sometimes used interjectionally with you especially as a filler in informal speech- know·able /'nO-&-b&l/ adjective- know·er /'nO(-&)r/ noun- know from : to have knowledge of

Huge Ego Hewitt often makes this mistake and ThinkProgress catches another one:

HEWITT: What do you learn from being on the ground actually? I know you’ve been to Iraq after the surge began, what do you learn from that kind of a trip?

HEWITT: Oh, I was under the impression you had made a trip to Iraq, governor. I’m sorry I got that wrong.

ROMNEY: No, I have…I have been to Iraq, but I’d like to go more frequently than I’ve been able to go. I’ve only been one time and I think, well, I don’t know what year that was. It was probably 2006.

HEWITT: Yeah, I think it was after the surge, I’m glad I wasn’t completely wrong about that.

The Surge was announced in January 2007 and did not occur in 2006.

Here's a more serious mistake:

"We know for a fact there are weapons there." - Ari Fleischer, Jan. 9, 2003

No comments: