Sunday, July 22, 2012

"you didn’t get there on your own"

That's what Pres. Obama said and he was correct and even someone as All-American as Barry Larkin, a new inductee into the Baseball Hall of Fame, agrees:
"I played with some monumental figures in the game," said Larkin, who was introduced to baseball by his dad at the age of 5. "They helped me through some very rough times as a player."

After giving special thanks in Spanish to the Latin players that also helped mold him, Larkin heaped special praise on Rose and Concepcion.

"I wouldn't be in the big leagues if it weren't for Pete," Larkin said, eliciting a stirring applause from the fans, two of whom were holding a placard inscribed with "Cincinnati's hometown heroes, Larkin and Rose."

"And Dave Concepcion, understanding that I was gunning for his job, understanding that I was from Cincinnati, he spent countless hours with me preparing me for the game," Larkin said. "I idolized Davey Concepcion as a kid. Thank you, my idol. My inclusion in the Hall of Fame is the ultimate validation. I want to thank you all for helping me along the way." SOURCE: ESPN
The wingnut noise machine (see here for a few examples) made a big stink about Pres. Obama's comments so I expect them to do the same about Larkin.

No comments: