Sunday, July 21, 2013

I THOUGHT THIS WAS JUST A LOCAL ABERRATION

This story made me think about the a-hole managers I've met in Tucson and I thought it was mostly a local phenomenon but it's not:
“Dizzy and Sick”: McDonald’s Workers Strike After Enduring 110-Degree Heat
Workers in NYC and Chicago protest unsafe conditions in latest fast food walkout.
July 20, 2013 | ALTERNET


Workers at a Manhattan McDonald’s and a Chicago Dunkin’ Donuts mounted strikes today to protest alleged unsafe heat. The single-store strikes are the latest in a wave of fast food walkouts, and could represent an additional front in low-wage workers’ struggle against the mammoth industry.

“I felt dizzy and sick” working in the heat without air conditioning, McDonald’s employee Luisa Dilla told Salon in Spanish. “My co-workers were afraid, but I wasn’t,” because “I just wasn’t going to work that way.”

Dilla and three other workers walked out of their store around 10 AM, after they say a co-worker fainted from the heat and had to be wheeled to an ambulance by paramedics. Dilla alleged that that when the worker – who had repeatedly said she didn’t feel well – went downstairs to vomit in the bathroom, a manager followed her there to order her back to work. Dilla said that when she went to check on her co-worker, “She was laying down on some chairs and vomiting and then she fell and fainted. Her eyes were rolling back…That’s when we said, enough is enough.”

No comments: