Friday, May 09, 2008

IS KRUGMAN IN THE TANK FOR CLINTON?

Paul Krugman is a man I respect very much. I read his columns and I've read a couple of his books. I have even cited him in several of my posts about Obama, like this one. Now I'm starting to think he's unfair to Obama, essentially for this column, "Thinking About November."

Krugman is a little annoyed about these remarks:
After the Pennsylvania primary, David Axelrod, Mr. Obama’s campaign manager, airily dismissed concerns about working-class whites, saying that they have “gone to the Republican nominee for many elections.” On Tuesday night, Donna Brazile, the Democratic strategist, declared that “we don’t have to just rely on white blue-collar voters and Hispanics.” That sort of thing has to stop.

According to Harold Meyerson, Axelrod and Brazile are correct:
Ever since the New Deal coalition was smashed on the reefs of race in the mid-1960s, working-class white support for Democratic presidential candidates has hemorrhaged. Though he won a plurality of the popular vote, Al Gore lost the white working class by 17 points in 2000; John Kerry lost it by 23 points four years later.

2 comments:

Steve M. said...

You just noticed this? That must have been some coma.

Steve J. said...

Steve M. -

I gave Krugman the benefit of the doubt because I respect him.